Licensing and Technical Department
Regulatory Commission for Energy of Republic of Srpska is the leader of competences for:
- issuance, extension, amendment, transfer, cancellation and revocation of the license for electric power activities as well as the ones related to the natural gas sector,
- monitoring of licenses,
- construction of new and large-scale reconstruction of the existing electric power facilities in the region of Republic of Srpska,
- prescription of methodology and criteria for determination of the electricity price for supply of tariff customers,
- determination of tariff rates for distribution system users and tariff rates for tariff customers of electricity.
Requirements for issuance of licenses for activities
The method of the application submission for issuance of licenses with necessary documents, criteria and requirements for issuance of licenses for electric power activities and activities related to the natural gas are prescribed by the Rule on issuance of licenses.
Licenses for generation, distribution and domestic trade are granted to legal and physical bodies which:
- Have been registered in the register for electric power activities,
- Have met technical requirements for realization of the activities,
- Have met economic-financial requirements for realization of the activities,
- Have met safety at work requirements, fire prevention and environment protection requirements.
The license issuance procedure is transparent and conducted pursuant to objective and publicly-known criteria in a non-discriminatory and transparent way, whereby RERS complies with the rules which it independently makes and which should include as follows:
- Safety of the energy system, installation and accompanying equipment,
- Protection of environment,
- Usage of land and determination of the location,
- Usage of the public land,
- Energy efficiency,
- Nature of primary sources,
- Elements for estimate of technical, economic and financial possibilities and other necessary characteristics of the applicant.
Types of licenses
Regulatory Commission for Energy of Republic of Srpska issues the following licenses:
In the electric power sector, RERS issues the following licenses:
- license for generation of electricity in the hydro power plants, thermal power plants, thermal power plants with integrated mines and other facilities which capacity is more than 1 MW,
- license for distribution of electricity in a sense of transfer of electricity at middle voltage and low voltage network for the purposes of delivery of electricity to customers,
- license for supply of tariff customers with electricity,
- license for trade and supply of electricity on the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- license for construction of the electric power facility which capacity is more than 1 MW;
In the natural gas sector, RERS issues the following licenses:
- license for generation of natural gas,
- license for control of the natural gas transport system,
- license for natural gas transport,
- license for distribution and control of the natural gas warehousing system,
- license for supply of tariff customers with natural gas,
- license for trade and supply of natural gas.
Procedures for Issuance of Licenses
Rule for issuance of license explains in detail types of licenses issued by Regulatory Commission for Energy of Republic of Srpska, as well as the method for submission of applications for issuance of licenses with necessary documents, criteria, terms and conditions for the license issuance.
Applications for issuance of licenses, extension, amendment, transfer, cancellation and revocation of the license are submitted to RERS in special, purpose-made forms, which are available in the section of Forms. A certain type of license may require additional documents too. Incomplete applications will not be treated.
Once the application is received as complete, there will be public notice issued that will offer the stakeholders information on how to take part in the license issuance process, either sending their comments or asking for the intervener status. Upon completion of the complete prescribed procedure, RERS may approve application with or without conditions or reject it. Each RERS decision shall be based on facts which shall enable the public understand reasons for making such a decision.
Interested parties, for the purposes of better understanding of all necessary steps of this process, may download Course diagram for the license issuance procedure at these pages.